WE ARE EXPANDING
AND HIRING! Tornillo ISD—An Opportunity to Help Children at the Border Full-Time Faculty Position Job Description Tocando, the El Sistema-inspired program of the El Paso Symphony, will pilot a new program in the Tornillo Independent School Distict. The community and school are currently stressed with issues of migrant children and families; many of the students travel across the border daily from Mexico to attend the school. The District Superintendent is eager to create a Tocando program within the school day, to help children and families cope with this stress.
The position will involve helping to guide the creation of the Tornillo Pilot Program, overseeing the program, and teaching in the program, during school-day hours. It will also involve teaching artist responsibilities in Tocando’s El Paso program, during after-school hours.
- To design and implement, in close collaboration with Tocando’s Program Coordinator, a school-embedded version of Tocando at Tornillo ISD
- To teach the lessons, guide others who teach in the program, and oversee the healthy growth of the program by nuturing family and community connections
- To create a close relationship between the school district and Tocando
- To be part of the teaching staff at Guillen Middle School in El Paso, partnering with faculty to build stronger collaboration and support. Qualifications:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in a stringed instrument
- Flexibility of approach, and eagerness to teach beginners
- Good people skills for building effective connections within the school and community
- Organizational skills and savvy to make the program efficient and effective
- A passion for working with this particular community with its assets and social needs This is a full-time position, with a salary in the vicinity of $30,000 plus full benefits.